Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Digital money

On 10 May 2023 at 10:38pm Tom Pain wrote:
According to Agustin Carstens, top dog at the Bank for International Settlements in Basel: digital money is programmable. That means the bank can decide how you use your money and control it completely. Central Bank Digital Currency will be controlled by the Bank of England here and bearing in mind that it is a private company, isn't that giving a major control of our lives over to an unelected body a bit undemocratic? I know the B of E was nominally nationalised but it remains a private corporation managed by it's Court of Directors by the authority invested in it by Royal Charter. That means that the government has no authority over it whatsoever.

On 14 May 2023 at 2:44pm Nevillman wrote:
The bank of England reports to parliament which is elected by most of the population who can be bothered to vote so it does report to us. It is nationalised without shareholders.
I very much doubt if you have the first idea what a central bank digital currency means but it is very unlikely to affect you in any way Tom. I can't see that anyone is trying to control your money apart from "them" but as we've discussed before Tom "they" don't really exist.
I really didn't think that it would come to responding to a post like this but well done Tom and I appreciate people like you keeping "them" on their toes

On 14 May 2023 at 9:31pm Tom Pain wrote:
Well umm, They are banks, I can't figure out why you didn't notice. Not all banks of course. I very much doubt that you are aware of the inluence they have in their capacity of providing 97% of the money we use. Equally I doubt that you are aware of what a royal chartered private corporation is and the immunity to government intervention it has, I certainly wasn't. Also, are you aware that the City of London has rights and privileges outside of English jurisdiction dating from before the Norman invasion which even they honoured.

On 15 May 2023 at 9:44am Green Sleeves wrote:
TP's money is all under his mattress. But its not modern pound sterling....its all in shillings and half crowns. REAL money that will never die.

You are the forum joke, TP. You know this, and are fortunate that this forum is only basically visited by a small handful of people. Otherwise, more people would think you are daft.

On 15 May 2023 at 4:39pm Nevillman wrote:
As you have brought up the issue of banks providing 97% of the money we use several times it would be surprising if I was not aware of it Tom. While I dispute the figure of 97% due to the difficulties involved in defining and calculating the amount of money in an economy, I accept that it is one of the roles of the banks to lend money to businesses and individuals that they have in a sense created and I know I have told you that before. I've also asked what your problem is with this and for any alternative you have in mind but you have not replied.
No idea what point you are trying to make in the rest of your recent post or it's relevance to digital currency or anything else. Please have another go.
I imagine Tom's got a few Lewes pounds stashed away as well green.

On 15 May 2023 at 8:24pm Tom Pain wrote:
You wouldn't nev, but you'll be happy ish.

On 15 May 2023 at 10:26pm Green Sleeves wrote:
Groannnnn. These WEF conspiracy theories really have rotted your brain (further). You probably think people like myself and nev are closed-minded....but you are the one with the closed mind, as you seem to only entertain daft, debunkable conspiracy theories circulated by alt-right lunatics.

On 16 May 2023 at 9:04pm Nevillman wrote:
No idea what you are saying Tom. Have you got a point to make?

On 16 May 2023 at 10:01pm Tom Pain wrote:
I'm sure you must have a nevill green amateur psychology meeting to go to lads.

On 17 May 2023 at 4:26pm Nevillman wrote:
Don't flatter yourself Tom. You don't need to be a psychologist to recognise simple attention seeking. Anyone who has had a five year old child would recognise it. You probably boast to people how you 'wind up' the other users of the forum. I hope you are proud of the part you've paid in it's demise.

On 17 May 2023 at 7:56pm Tom Pain wrote:
I've an awful feeling that you actually believe that! Why don't you try banning yourself from this forum and see what happens?

On 20 May 2023 at 6:50pm Nevillman wrote:
Why don't you?
Actually I'd probably be begging you to post again before too long

On 21 May 2023 at 8:46pm Tom Pain wrote:
Have you tried putting your attention span on having your entire finances controlled by the central bank. Just listen to Carstens.

On 23 May 2023 at 10:44am Nevillman wrote:
Do you mean they could force me to go to Aldi rather than Tesco Tom?

On 24 May 2023 at 2:12pm Tom Pain wrote:
Easily and they would stop you altogether if you were cheeky, but you never would to the boss, would you?

On 24 May 2023 at 6:47pm Nevillman wrote:
Don't be so impertinent Tom. How cheeky I am to nevillwoman is none of your business. Do you remember what I told you about your paranoia Tom? I really wouldn't worry about this one Tom.

On 24 May 2023 at 9:23pm Tom Pain wrote:
Oh dear, the weaponised amateur psychology again.

On 25 May 2023 at 9:55am Green Sleeves wrote:
LOL you just know that TP is so used to having his sanity questioned, yet still somehow irked and overly defensive about it.

On 25 May 2023 at 10:55am Nevillman wrote:
There are many advantages to and drawbacks to digital money in all of its forms. It is exhibiting symptoms of paranoia to think it would be introduced as a means of controlling your expenditure.

On 25 May 2023 at 6:15pm Tom Pain wrote:
Is that right, you don't care if the central bank has complete control over your money? Even if you found out that a royal chartered corporation is outside government control and the City of London is not under Westminster's jurisdiction.?

On 25 May 2023 at 7:40pm Nevillman wrote:
The central bank hasn't got complete control of my money and I really can't see any likelihood that they will. Maybe you mean something different by 'complete control'. What do you mean? Private businesses and individuals should not be controlled by government. Where they impact on people they should be regulated. I don't know enough about these regulations but if you want to examine them and then write about some aspect of it that troubles you I may or may not agree with you. They do need effective regulation.

On 26 May 2023 at 8:22pm Tom Pain wrote:
When cash is eventually phased out the CB with it's DC will rule the roost. The number of banks is slowly diminishing in Europe due to more and more stringent regulations enforced by the ECB. This is making it impossible for small banks to make ends meet. What will happen when the regulator is a competitor? Rhetorical question.

On 27 May 2023 at 4:20pm Green Sleeves wrote:
You seem to worry and fret more about "money" than health or the environment.

Who cares about the 7+ million that died during the "fake" pandemic, or the fact that our planet is experiencing more wild climate changes that you believe has nothing to do with humans. You certainly got your priorities right there TP.

On 27 May 2023 at 8:23pm Tom Pain wrote:
What wild climate changes? Pantodemic note- the recent Israeli healh service figures for covid deaths of people under 50 with no comorbidities.....none! You can't do much about the weather. The covid stats are not comparable because the parameters were changed to "with" flu/covid for the first time, from "of". You could do something about our ponzi, debt based money system though. Don't you, sob, care about, wring hands, the needless, weep tears of anguish, poverty in the world you heartless creature?

On 27 May 2023 at 9:16pm Green Sleeves wrote:
I'm referring to increasing temperatures, drought, more storms and wild weather causing food/crop shortages and displacing people. These are exacerbated by a vast human population that has been far too dependent on burning fossil fuels. Can't do much about the weather? We already have, so maybe we should try to offset it for the future. Or we ignore it and listen to real experts like Tom Pain and oil barons. Apparently over 90% of papers skeptical on climate change originate from right-wing think tanks. Its like asking about the safety of cigarettes on lung health from a tobacco firm and ignoring the doctors and scientists researching it.

Downplaying the deaths of 7m people as a "pantodemic", parroting alt-right talking points that have been rejected time and time again. Same old nonsense, uttered by awkward, socially inept "adults". They are never able to answer how global excess deaths spiked during the main 2 years of the "pantodemic", so dodge the question and focus on some more debunked tripe that Russell Brand is also click-baiting on.

On 28 May 2023 at 9:37pm Tom Pain wrote:
Oh mr bleeding heart; the excess deaths in Britain from may to decemder '22 were up to covid levels; how come you're not wringing your hands about that? I can guess. Nothing to say about Israel? Just more of your hypocritical virtue signalling and mud slinging.

On 29 May 2023 at 8:15am Green Sleeves wrote:
*incorrect buzzer noise* - WRONG! Excess deaths like what was seen during covid have not been seen since WW2. There were still further excess deaths during 2022, but nothing like what we saw during 20/21, and it was to be expected that the pandemic would ease up in 2022, which it did, and excess deaths came down, just not to perhaps pre-pandemic levels yet.

Why you so obsessed with "co-morbidities" and Israel? We know that covid predominantly impacted people with prior conditions, but thats an awful lot of people who's condition deteriorated significantly due to having covid hence why we saw vast numbers of excess deaths. That is precisely what pandemics tend to do, it impacts the weakest and most vulnerable in society. COVID makes people sick, and if you're already sick, it can make things many orders of magnitude worse, which is why so many more people died during those heavy peaks of outbreak during 2020 and 2021. We are all gonna die eventually, but stuff like covid would definitely expedite that for those who aren't indestructible.

Most people die with pre-existing conditions and "co-morbidities". This is just another thing that the alt-right like you have latched on to, and suddenly have become "experts" on. If you have an underlying medical condition, then covid was indeed a scary thing.....and vast swathes of the population have them, and we're talking about a virus that transmits fairly effortlessly even among healthy fine specimens such as yourself. But as long as you're alright Jack/Tom. Sorry the pandemic inconvenienced you, but try to analyse data properly and find more credible sources than the ones Russell Brand relies on.

On 29 May 2023 at 8:41pm Tom Pain wrote:
I wish you'd stop using alt right diversion tactics Tourie. The excess deaths in '22 were NON covid....not even WITH covid. So there's something else just as dreadful; what could it possibly be? No one knows and it's so serious that you can't even ask a question in parliament without all other MPs walking out so they can't hear it just like little children. Only ONE mp in that whole dismal bunch asked for an investigation and he got thrown out of the party for it. Typically he was accused of anti semitism for quoting a Jewish doctor - what a cop out. There's some thing you can't mention in this mother of democracy. As for your highly duplicitous WW2 statistic- deaths were higher per capita going back from circa 2010 . You used that little trick before, quoting WW1 in your fear mongering days of covid. Why do you want covid to be so over estimated and the climate blip to be so exaggerated? I can't figure it out, you're like a terrier with a rat, what is the morbid fascination?

On 29 May 2023 at 11:23pm Green Sleeves wrote:
I'm sure there are many reasons why excess deaths were still above pre-pandemic levels in 2022 (but i re-iterate.....still SIGNIFICANTLY down from 20 and 21). Given the UKs economic decline post Brexit and skilled EU healthcare workers not returning, and a health system chronically underfunded by successive tory governments its not unreasonable to expect that consequences would occur. Yes, we know full well the health system was put under strain by COVID with many appointments also being cancelled, not because it was made-up or "exaggerated". People were dying in their thousands, and the statistics bear that out. You want to find a conspiracy, but you just keep coming back with bogus information. You can't figure out why I would accept experts and the general consensus from doctors? I can't figure out why you wouldn't. You clearly never spoken to someone who was on the frontline during the pandemic.

Its not fear mongering, its stating facts. Britain hadn't seen excess deaths in those kinds of numbers since WW1 and WW2. I am sorry that these facts hurt your feelings, but I thought you would be used to it by now. You think its "duplicitous", but i must say I only ever hear that word now used by alt-right nutters who adore GB News and TalkTV.

Andrew Bridgen may well not be anti-Semitic, neither is Jeremy Corbyn. I get that the smear is just a way to get rid of some people. Trouble is, Bridgen is an anti-vaxxer nut, hard-brexiter, proven liar (in court) and has a long list of odious views and takes that I feel little sympathy for his downfall. I'm still not sure exactly why Jeremy Corbyn is persona non grata though. He genuinely doesn't appear to have done anything wrong in over 4 decades as a loyal constituency MP for Islington North, where as Bridgen has a pretty impressive rap sheet for an MP of only 13 years.

On 30 May 2023 at 5:54pm Nevillman wrote:
I was no fan of lockdown but at least it really annoyed people like Tom. Result.

On 30 May 2023 at 9:49pm Tom Pain wrote:
That's right nev, prevented from going to a loved one's funeral and prevented from visiting another in a care home going crazy, possibly paranoid with solitary confinement. I wasn't annoyed at all, I was and still am coldly furious. Perhaps that's why I despise the pathetic compliancy that helped to enable it. Result eh? In your nasty mind, I suppose it is, enjoy it.

On 31 May 2023 at 10:24am Nevillman wrote:
Most people suffered during lockdown Tom. Like you, I was no fan of it and given the choice would have taken my chances. I fully understand however that the government had to do it to save the NHS and to prevent thousands of further deaths. I accept you disagree on this point.
I'm still very annoyed that my life and the lives of millions of others was put on hold during lockdown. The blatant hypocrisy from the government that has come to light has not reduced this. Neither has people like you prattling on about it not saving lives and disputing the figures groundlessly. I'm afraid reading your posts over the years has done nothing to convince me that you are more likely to be correct on this occasion either. I don't remotely trust any of your sources of information for anything. I was wrong to say it was a good result that lockdown annoyed you. You are reveling in your fury and your sense of righteous indignation.
I'm actually pleased that you think I have a nasty mind. Who knows, you might at last be right about something.

On 31 May 2023 at 8:08pm Tom Pain wrote:
I find it very hard to understand how Bridgen can be an antivax nut when he took the jab you recommended so highly and is now damaged for life, sleevie. "nut"- how cute, you have such a way with words.

On 31 May 2023 at 9:46pm Green Sleeves wrote:
Yeah, he is a nut for sure, started spouting "gene therapy" conspiracy theories which have been debunked. Although I have to confess, for most of the past 2 years, I have been having strange, inexplicable dreams about Bill Gates.

On 2 Jun 2023 at 11:28am Nevillman wrote:
You shouldn't use a word like "nut" green because it is offensive to nuts. Use a real medical condition like tourettes syndrome as a term of abuse because Tom knew someone with it and he wasn't offended at it's use as a derogatory term at all.
Just looked up about bridgen. How has he been damaged for life Tom? With the utmost respect to nuts, he does sound like one.

On 5 Jun 2023 at 9:21am Tom Pain wrote:
Is there any point in talking to someone who continually calls people paranoid and has a hissy fit if they use the word tourette? No.

On 6 Jun 2023 at 7:36pm Nevillman wrote:
Chill Tom. I'm afraid lazy journalists using tourettes to signify someone who swears really annoys me to the extent that I write in when I see it and it has mostly gone from papers I think. I'm sure you didn't intend to cause any offence but I'm afraid times have moved on and like it or not it is best to avoid saying certain things.
Paranoid is slightly different in that it can be a symptom of several mental illnesses rather than an illness in itself but I understand it annoys you and it's potentially offensive and I will try to avoid it in future.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Spires 80:132
Lewes Spires

Get a cat? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the walk along the ouse to Hamsey church, the view from the top of the Castle, Pells pool, the antique shops and boot fair, the lion in the window of the 15c bookshop, keere street
BrixtonBelle