Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Grenfell ,number of dead likely to be much higher.

On Mon 19 Jun at 4:05pm I predict a riot wrote:
Richard Wells This morning, Grime artist Saskilla told the BBCís Victoria Derbyshire programme that he had been told personally by one of the firefighters at Grenfell Tower that around two hundred bodies had already been identified at the scene of the terrifying blaze. The presenter attempted to pour water on the figure, but the musician insisted it was what he was told in person by the firefighter.
On Mon 19 Jun at 4:09pm Billy wrote:
They will drip feed the numbers out , in the hope of avoiding riots. Firefighters have also said that the bodies were taken out after 10.30 pm and that there were 3 tents full of bodybags.
On Mon 19 Jun at 4:10pm Lewes wrote:
Lewes lewes lewes lewes lewes lewes lewes lewes lewes lewes lewes lewes lewes lewes
On Mon 19 Jun at 4:49pm Scepetic wrote:
(From memory) 120 or so flats, say average of 2 or 3 people per flat, so maybe 240 - 360 people living in the block. Fire took hold from 4th or 5th of 20 plus floors, so assuming the residents were evenly spread across each floor, it isn't too difficult to work out that the number of potential fatalities could, as a worst case, be around three quarters of the residents.
I haven't seen any numbers for how many residents are definitely safe and accounted for, and how many are still unaccounted for/missing, but
yes, unfortunately, at worst the final figure could well be well into three figures.
And, of course, there is also the issue that there could have been extra (non-resident) people in the building visiting friends or family, while some residents may have been out or away from home for the evening...
Hopefully more people got out than only those on the floors at or below the level at which the fire took hold - certainly some people do appear to have got out from flats floors above the level on which the fire appears to have started, so final figure left in the building is obviously unclear, and will not really be known until the whole building has been thoroughly searched and all casualties found.
No doubt "managing expectations" is part of the official "figures" policy in this type of disaster, in hope of preventing mass panic/despair, but equally issuing a 'worst case' figure, and then finding that more people escaped than feared, would see the authorities being accused of making people fear for the worst, and causing unnecessary alarm should that figure prove too pessimistic.
Whatever the authorities do or say in regard of the casualty figures at this stage, they cannot seem to do right for doing wrong.
Whatever the final figure, it is clear that there are many questions to be asked as to how and why the tragedy occurred, and whom is to blame - I suspect many people share elements of responsibility, and that pinning the blame on one person is unrealistic, and probably not fair, as many seem to have had a hand in the decisions made surrounding the refurbishment of the building.
On Mon 19 Jun at 4:56pm Jim wrote:
Lol
On Mon 19 Jun at 5:30pm Fogey wrote:
Am I the only person who has no idea what a grime artist is?
On Mon 19 Jun at 5:35pm Sussex Dim wrote:
The chap that cleaned my cooker.
On Mon 19 Jun at 5:36pm Bogey wrote:
It's a musician.
On Mon 19 Jun at 5:43pm Crackpot alert wrote:
No doubt some conspiracy theory will develop. Government keeps asylum seekers locked in tower block type nonsense....
On Tue 20 Jun at 1:16am wrote:
Iíve got bad news for you, the crackpot conspiracy theories have already started - The Daily Mail reckons itís the tenantsí fault.
On Tue 20 Jun at 6:50am Historian wrote:
Each tenancy agreement may be for 1 or 2 occupants, doesnt mean there wasn't 14 living there.

On Tue 20 Jun at 4:11pm Jim wrote:
Or 42 in one flat

25 posts left

Your response

Reserve your name
You must log in to use that name
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys 40:137
Harveys

Allow me more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare

Job search

Advertise a Job
for £10

Upload your CV